1. Hungay’s populist PM Viktor Orban wins new term
- Hungary’s right-wing Prime Minister Viktor Orban (54-year) has claimed a landslide victory in general election.
- According to the Hungary’s National Election Office, Fidesz party won almost half of the vote, with 93% of ballots counted.
- Mr. Orban will serve a third consecutive term in office.
- Fidesz won a two-thirds majority in 2010 and 2014 but lost it in by-elections in 2015.
2. India and Equatorial Guinea Sign Four Agreements
- India and Equatorial Guinea sign four agreements in the field of agriculture, mining, health, telecommunications and IT after delegation-level talks between Indian President Ram Nath Kovind and Equatorial Guinea President Teodoro Obiang Nguema Mbasogo at Malabo, Equatorial Guinea.
- The two countries agreed to work together at UN, where Equatorial Guinea has just begun a two-year term on the Security Council. President Kovind is on the first leg of his 3-nation visit to Equatorial Guinea.
- Capital- Malabo, Currency- Central African CFA franc.
3. PM Narendra Modi attended Central Public-Sector Enterprises conclave
- The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has attend the Central Public-Sector Enterprises (CPSEs) Conclave at Vigyan Bhawan in New Delhi.
- The deliberations in the Conclave will lead to the formulation of an actionable roadmap to achieve the target of a New India 2022.
- The Senior officers of CPSE and top Ministry officials is attending the conclave.
- CPSEs in recent years have enhanced their profile with a much larger share in public investments without compromising on their contribution to the government coffers by way of dividends and taxes.
4. India, Nepal Agree to Strengthen Bilateral Relations in Key Areas of border security
- India and Nepal have agreed to further strengthen bilateral relations in key areas of border security, connectivity, trade and agriculture. The two countries agreed to develop inland waterways for overall economic development of the region.
- Aiming to expand cross-border rail linkages, the two sides have also decided to construct a new electrified rail line, with India’s financial support. The rail line will connect the border city of Raxaul in India to Kathmandu in Nepal.
- Nepal Capital- Kathmandu, Currency- Nepalese rupee, President- Bidhya Devi Bhandari, Prime Minister- Khadga Prasad Oli.
5. Petroleum and Natural Gas Minister launces Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana (PMUY) in New Dehli
- The Minister for Petroleum and Natural Gas ‘Dharmendra Pradhan’ has launched ‘Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana’ (PMUY) scheme in Delhi and distributed new LPG connections and cylinders to beneficiaries.
- Around 400 LPG connections were handed over to the families belonging to below poverty line category.
- Under this scheme, Target has been increased from the existing 5 crores connections to 8 crores connections by 2020.
- PMUY was launched in May 2016.
- Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana is a scheme of the Ministry of Petroleum & Natural Gas for providing LPG connections to women from Below Poverty Line (BPL) households.
- The identification of eligible BPL families will be made in consultation with the State Governments and the Union Territories.
6. Tripura Chief Minister launches state component of PMKVY in Agartala
- The Chief Minister of Tripura ‘Biplab Kumar Deb’ has launched the state component of Pradhanmantri Kaushal Vikas Yojna (PMKVY), in Agartala.
- Tripura is the first state in the North East to implement the state component of PMKVY through Directorate of Skill Development (DSD).
- According to Deb, He assured that the target to give training to more than 1 lakh 16,000 youths by 2020.
- The state government is also planning to promote industrialisation based on pineapple, bamboo, rubber and jackfruit.
- Tripura CM- Biplab Kumar Deb, Governor- Tathagata Roy, Capital- Agartala.
7. Maharashtra govt to start free chemotherapy treatment for cancer patients from June
- The Maharashtra govt has announced that cancer patients would be provided free chemotherapy treatment at district hospitals.
- The first phase of the plan will start in June with hospitals in Nagpur, Gadchiroli, Pune, Amravati, Jalgaon, Nashik, Wardha, Satara, Bhandara and Akola.
- Physician and nurse from each of these district hospitals would be imparted training for three weeks from May by the Medical Oncology department of Tata Memorial.
- Chemotherapy is the use of anticancer drugs designed to slow or stop the growth of rapidly dividing cancer cells in the body.
8. Tamil Nadu govt. launches ‘Uzhavan’ mobile app for farmers
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister ‘Edappadi K. Palaniswami’ has launched the bi-lingual ‘Uzhavan’ (farmer) app, to access nine types of services including details about their crop insurance.
- The app can be used by farmers to get information on farm subsidies, book farm equipment and related infrastructure and get details on their crop insurance, besides receiving weather forecast for the next four days.
- The CM also launched the ‘Amma Bio-Fertiliser’ scheme.
- The initiative was aimed at better management of nature farming and help boost and maintain soil fertility.
9. Central govt scheme ‘Gobardhan Yojna’ to be launched from Karnal on 30th April
- The central govt scheme ‘Gobardhan Yojna’ will be launched nationally from Haryana’s Karnal on 30th April for managing & converting cattle dung and solid waste into manure and biogas.
- Under it, the govt. aims to ensure cleanliness in villages and generate energy by converting cattle dung and solid agricultural waste into compost and biogas.
- Gobar-Dhan Yojana (also known as Galvanizing Organic Bio-Agro Resource Fund scheme) aims to improve lives of the villagers.
- The central and state governments would provide funds in the ratio of 60:40.
10. Assam’s spring festival begins in Manas National Park for two days
- The Assam Spring Festival (two-days) has begun at the Manas National Park where visitors will get to experience the state’s local food, music, handloom and handicrafts.
- The aim of the event is to promote the local food and culture of the fringe villagers.
- The festival has been organised by Indian Weavers’ Association and the Swankar Mithinga Onsai Afat.
- The itinerary of the festival includes village tours, exposition of local handicraft and handloom, cultural showa, local folk music and tasting of local cuisines and delicacies.
- Manas National Park is also a tiger and rhino reserve which covers five districts of Assam.
Banking & Finance
11. Reserve Bank of India Switches Back to GDP Scale to Measure Economy
- The Reserve Bank of India switched back to the gross domestic product (GDP)-based measure to offer its growth estimates from the gross value added (GVA) methodology, citing global best practices.
- The government had started analysing growth estimates using GVA methodology from January 2015 and had also changed the base year to 2018 from January.
- Urjit Patel- 24th Governor of RBI, Headquarters- Mumbai, Established on- 1st April 1935, in Kolkata.
- While GVA gives a picture of the state of economic activity from the producers’ side or supply side, the GDP model gives the picture from the consumers’ side or demand perspective.
12. FPI Investment Limit in Govt. Securities Hiked
- In a move that could temporarily soften bond yields, the Reserve Bank of India, in consultation with the Government, hiked the foreign portfolio investors (FPI) investment limit in Central government securities (G-Sec) from 5% of outstanding stock now to 5.5% in FY2019 and 6% in FY2020.
- The FPI investment in state development loans (SDLs) has been left unchanged at 2% of outstanding stock of securities.
Honours & Awards
13. Anushka Sharma to receive ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award’
- Bollywood actress Anushka Sharma (29-year) will be awarded the prestigious ‘Dadasaheb Phalke Excellence Award’ for experimenting with ideas and subjects as a producer.
- She has been appreciated for breaking new grounds as a film producer, along with her brother Karnesh Sharma.
- Their company Clean Slate Films focus on experimenting with new subjects and ideas.
- Anushka’s first three productions: NH 10, Phillauri and Pari (the recently-released) showed their maturity in dabbling with three different genres (thriller, romance and horror) with a distinct and differential content pitch for audiences.
14. Commonwealth Games 2018 : India add 5 more medals
- Indian shooting ace Jitu Rai claimed the gold medal in men’s 10-meter air pistol event by creating a new games record while compatriot Om Prakash Mitharval bagged a bronze.
- Weightlifter Pardeep Singh settled for a silver in the 105- kilogram category.
- In Women’s 10-meter Air Rifle event, India’s Mehuli Ghosh clinched silver while compatriot Apurvi Chandela got bronze.
- Now, in medals tally, India occupies 3rd position with 17 honours comprising 8 gold, 4 silver and 5 Bronze.
- Australia continues to top the medal tally followed by England.
15. Commonwealth Games 2018 : India Win Badminton Team Gold for 1st Time in CWG History
- India clinched their first-ever badminton mixed team event gold in Commonwealth Games history after defeating defending champions Malaysia 3-1 in the final at Gold Coast.
- India’s previous best performance in mixed team event at CWG was a silver-medal finish in the 2010 edition.
- Saina Nehwal and Kidambi Srikanth represented India in singles’ matches of the five-member team event.
16. Commonwealth Games 2018 : Indian Men’s TT Team Wins Gold
- India defeated Nigeria to clinch gold in the men’s table tennis team event at the Commonwealth Games for the first time since 2006.
- With this, India joined England to bag second-most table tennis gold medals (5) at CWG.
- This is the first time that India have won both men’s and women’s TT team events at a single CWG edition.
17. Commonwealth Games 2018 : Indian Women’s TT Team Wins Gold
- India has bagged three more Gold, one Silver and two bronze medals at the 21st Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast on the fourth day. Indian women’s Table Tennis team won their first ever Gold Medal defeating Singapore.
- Manika Batra led Table tennis team’s victory was historic as Singapore had never lost since 2002.
18. Indian Davis Cup team advances to World Group Play-offs stage
- Indian Davis Cup team advanced to the next stage World Group Play-offs stage with a 3-2 win over China in Tianjin.
- India advanced to the next stage when Ramkumar Ramanathan and Prajnesh Gunneswaran emerged winners in the two Reverse Singles to register a sensational 3-2 win over China.
- India trailing 0-2 by losing the two Opening Singles matches.
- Earlier, Leander Paes combined with Rohan Bopanna overcame the Chinese pair of Mo Xin Gong and Ze Zhang in three sets 5-7, 7-6, 7-6.
- The 2018 Davis Cup is the 107th edition of the Davis Cup, a tournament between national teams in men’s tennis.
- In 2018, new rules were introduced for the Group I and II zonal events, with ties now being played as best-of-three sets over the course of two days.