1. WHO Member-Countries Commit to End TB by 2030
- Member-countries of the World Health Organisation (WHO) South-East Asia Region, including India, committed to intensifying efforts to eradicate tuberculosis by 2030.
- The summit sets the stage for the September 2018 United Nations high-level meeting on TB, wherein the issue will be discussed at the Heads of State level.
- The Health Ministry and the WHO signed an agreement for enhanced cooperation in the health sector.
- Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) was awarded the International Kochon Prize 2017 for contribution to the National Programme in Tuberculosis research.
2. Larry Kudlow Becomes Trump’s New Economic Adviser
- President Donald Trump named Larry Kudlow as the next head of the White House National Economic Council. He has replaced Gary Cohn.
- Mr. Kundlow is the conservative media analyst who served as his informal economic adviser during the 2016 campaign.
3. Qatar announces 50 million Dollars donation to UNRWA
- Qatar has announced a 50 million USD donation to the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) for Palestine Refugees during the extraordinary ministerial meeting in Rome, Italy.
- Qatar has also announced to continue finance projects implemented by the UNRWA.
- Qatar is facing a nine-month boycott by its Gulf allies.
4. PM Modi inaugurates 105th Indian Science Congress in Imphal
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated the 105th session of Indian Science Congress, at Manipur University in Imphal, Manipur.
- The five-day Science Congress is an annual congregation of science professionals from across the globe.
- The theme of this year’s edition of the Science Congress is “Reaching the Unreached through Science and Technology”.
- He also laid the foundation stone of the National Sports University, 1000 Anganwadi Centres, 19 residential complexes for teachers, doctors, nurses, and other development projects.
- The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Luwangpokpa Multi-Sports Complex, Rani Gaidinliu Park, and other development projects.
- The 104th Indian Science Congress was held in Andhra Pradesh.
- The theme in 2017 was Science & Technology for National Development.
5. Annual Krishi Unnati Mela begins in New Delhi
- The three-day annual ‘Krishi Unnati Mela’ has begun at Indian Agricultural Research Institute in New Delhi, with a focus on doubling farmer’s income.
- The main objective of the Mela is to create awareness among farmers about the latest agriculture-related technological developments.
- Lakhs of farmers and agriculture scientists will participate in the Mela.
- Tomorrow, PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Jaivik Kheti Portal and confer ‘Krishi Karman Award’ to best performing states, Pandit Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Krishi Vigyan protsahan awards.
- The main theme pavilion will be based on Doubling of farmers income by 2022.
6. Andhra Pradesh Stands at 51st Position in Global Multidimensional Poverty Index
- Andhra Pradesh stands at equivalent to 51st rank globally in Multidimensional Poverty Index (2017)according to a recent household survey conducted in the state.
- Andhra Pradesh becomes the first Indian state to conduct an exclusive household survey at state and district level to estimate the multidimensional poverty of the state.
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu launched the Andhra Pradesh Multidimensional Poverty (MPI) Index Report 2017. As per the report Andhra Pradesh has an index value of 0.0825 whereas India as at 66th position with an index value of 0.1911.
- Andra Pradesh Governor- ESL Narasimhan.
- Nagarjunsagar-Srisailam Tiger reserve is situated in Andhra Pradesh.
7. Haryana Assembly passes a bill proposing death penalty in the rape case of girls below 12 years
- Haryana state Assembly has passed “the Criminal Law (Haryana Amendment) Bill -2018” proposing death penalty or rigorous imprisonment of not less than 14 years for rape or gang rape of girls below 12 years.
- The punishment of 14 years may be extended to life imprisonment.
- The law also proposes punishment not less than 2 years and up to 7 years in case of assault with intent to outrage the modesty of a girl.
- The punishment for stalking has also been proposed for second conviction which shall be not less than 3 years and up to 7 years.
8. CBEC to organize camps across the country to fast-track GST refunds to exporters
- The Central Board of Excise and Customs (CBEC) is organizing fortnight-long camps across the country to fast-track GST refunds to exporters.
- Earlier, the exporters have been complaining of delay in the GST refunds, which have blocked their working capital.
- GST was rolled out across the country from 1st of July last year.
- The CBEC has already given refunds to the tune of 5 thousand crore rupees but as much as 70% of total refunds to exporters is still stuck.
9. Nitin Gadkari inaugurates 5th Nadi Mahotsava at Bandrabhan in MP
- The Union minister Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the 5th Nadi Mahotsava at Bandrabhan of Hoshangabad District of Madhya Pradesh.
- The pioneering event Nadi Mahotsava started by late Union Minister Anil Madhav Dave’
- The two-day mahotsava with various sessions of discussion is taking place for the conservation of Narmada river.
- Water scarcity is not the problem in the country but uplifting downtrodden residing in villages on the banks of rivers is a challenge.
10. NCRB launches ‘Citizen Services’ mobile app
- The National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB) has launched a mobile app “Citizen Services” on the occasion of its 33rd Inception Day.
- The application has been developed in-house by the NCRB.
- The application comprises a bouquet of 9 essential police related services for the citizen.
Banking & Finance
11. World Bank Report : GST, 2nd Highest Tax Rate in World
- According to the World Bank Report, The goods and services tax (GST) is one of the most complex with the second highest tax rate in the world among a sample of 115 countries which have a similar indirect tax system.
- Further, there are several exempted sales and exports are zero-rated, which allows exporters to claim the refund for taxes paid on inputs.
- Jim Yong Kim is the 12th President of the World Bank Group.
- World Bank Headquarters in Washington DC, USA.
12. Commerce Secretary : Exports in February up 4.5% to $25.8 billion
- Commerce Secretary Rita Teaotia made a announcement, India’s exports grew by 4.5% in February-2018 to 25.8 billion Dollar(last year 24.7 billion Dollar).
- During April to February period of the current fiscal, exports recorded a growth of 11% to $273 billion.
- Imports also rose by 10.4% to $37.8 billion during the last month.
Honours & Awards
13. Jackie Shroff’s ‘Shunyata’ Wins International Award in US
- Actor Jackie Shroff’s short film ‘Shunyata’ has won an award at Best of India Short Film Festival in Los Angeles, US. The 22-minute fiction film directed by Chintan Sarda was selected to be in top six from amongst thousands of entries and was played at a theatre in Los Angeles.
- An industry based jury then adjudged it the best film. The prize includes a cash prize of $1,000.
14. In Javelin F-53 Category Deepa Malik Becomes Asian Rank No. 1
- Indian para-athlete Deepa Malik won a gold medal in the F-53/54 category javelin event at the World Para Athletics Grand Prix in Dubai.
- With this, she became the Asian rank one in the F-53 category. With the win, Deepa has also qualified for the 2018 Asian Para Games in Indonesia, scheduled to be held in October 2018.