1. India and Zambia signs 4 agreements to strengthen the ties between two countries
- India and Zambia have signed four agreements after delegation-level talks between President Ram Nath Kovind and his Zambian counterpart Edgar Lungu at Lusaka to strengthen the ties between the two countries.
- Mr. Kovind also addressed Zambia-India business forum and laid the foundation stone of Lusaka city roads decongestion project which will be implemented with the support from India.
2. President Ram Nath Kovind holds delegation-level talks with Swaziland King Mswati III in Mbabane
- President Ram Nath Kovind held delegation-level talks with Swaziland King Mswati III in Mbabane and signed two agreements on health and visa waiver.
- President Kovind was conferred with Order of the Lion (the highest award of Swaziland) and also addressed Swazi Parliament.
- Both leaders jointly inaugurated the Information Technology Centre located in the Royal Science & Technology Park.
3. Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon Elected BFA Chairman
- Former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has been elected chairman of ‘Boao Forum for Asia’ (BFA).
- He has replaced former Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda.
- Founded in 2001, the BFA is a non-governmental and non-profit international organisation committed to promoting regional economic integration and bringing Asian countries closer to their development goals.
4. Guinness World Record : Japan’s Masazo Nonaka confirmed as world’s oldest living man aged 112
- According to the Guinness World Record, Masajo Nonaka (112 -years) has been recognized as the world’s oldest living man.
- He got a certificate from Guinness World Records.
- Nonaka was born in Ashora (25th July 1905), Japan and in the present time, he lives with his family.
- He likes to listen to sumo wrestling and music on TV.
5. UN Security Council holds an emergency meeting on the suspected use of chemical weapons in Syria
- The UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on the suspected use of chemical weapons in Syria, at the request of the United States and 8 other countries.
- The UN special envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura urged the security council to immediately launch an independent investigation into the allegations.
6. Nepal President Bidya Devi Bhandari inaugurates an international conference on human rights in South Asia
- President of Nepal Bidya Devi Bhandari has inaugurated 3-day International Conference on Human Rights in South Asia in Kathmandu, Nepal.
- The theme of the conference is “Identifying Challenges, Assessing Progress, Moving Forward: Addressing Impunity and Realizing Human Rights in South Asia”.
- The human rights activists from 20 countries including India are participating in the event, organized by the National Human Rights Commission of Nepal.
7. PM Narendra Modi inaugurates 16th International Energy Forum in New Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi formally inaugurated the three days 16th International Energy Forum (IEF) Ministerial Meeting in New Delhi.
- It is the world’s largest gathering of Energy Ministers who engage in a dialogue on global energy issues hosted by India and co-hosted by China and Korea.
- The objective of the meeting to focus on how global shifts, transition policies & the new technologies influence market stability and future investment in the energy sector.
- China Capital- Beijing, Currency- Renminbi, President- Xi Jinping.
8. Transgenders to be recognized as independent gender category for obtaining PAN
- According to the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) notification, the union government has amended Income Tax rules (ITR) that will now allow transgenders to be recognized as an independent category of applicants for obtaining a Permanent Account Number (PAN) for their tax-related transactions.
- In the new form, a new tick box will provide for the transgenders to apply for the PAN in Form 49A (PAN application form for Indian citizens) and 49AA (PAN application form for individuals not a citizen of India).
- Earlier, only male and female gender categories were available to be chosen on the PAN application form.
- PAN is a 10-digit unique alphanumeric number allotted by the I-T department to individuals and entities.
- Till 5th March 2018, over 16.65 crore PANs (total about 33 crores) have been linked with Aadhaar.
9. Four Day ‘DefExpo India – 2018’ begins in Tamil Nadu
- The four-day long biennial exhibition of weapons and military hardware ‘DefExpo India- 2018’ (tenth edition) has begun at Kancheepuram in Tamil Nadu.
- It will help brand India as an exporter of defense systems and components.
- Over 700 exhibitors from over 50 countries are participating in the Defence Expo.
- Indigenously developed military helicopters, aircraft, missiles and rockets, capabilities to manufacture submarines, frigates and corvettes would be showcased at the event.
- Nirmala Sitharaman is the present Defence Minister of India.
10. Conference of Lieutenant Governors and Administrators of Union Territories held at Port Blair
- A conference of Lieutenant Governors and Administrators of Union Territories held at Megapode Resort, Port Blair in Andaman and Nicobar Islands.
- VP Singh (Governor of Punjab and Administrator of Chandigarh), Dr. Kiran Bedi (Lt. Governor of Puducherry), Admiral (Retd.) DK Joshi (Lt. Governor, Andaman & Nicobar Islands) and representatives from Delhi, Lakshadweep, Daman & Diu are attending the conference.
11. NITI forum meet starts at Agartala
- The first meeting of NITI Forum (A unit of NITI Aayog) has been started to review the development status of entire Northeast region in Agartala, Tripura.
- The meeting chaired by Minister for Development of North Eastern Region Dr. Jitendra Singh and the Vice-Chairman of NITI Aayog Dr. Rajeev Kumar.
- In this meeting, Chief Ministers of all North-eastern States, Minister of Development of North Eastern Region and senior officials of NITI Aayog and Union Government joined the conclave.
- In February this year, the ‘NITI Forum for North East’ was constituted with an aim to ensure the sustainable economic growth of the North Eastern Region of the country and periodically review the development status in the region.
12. Home minister Rajnath Singh inaugurates new NSG complex in Hyderabad
- The Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has inaugurated the regional hub complex of the elite anti-terror force National Security Guard (NSG) at Ibrahimpatnam near Hyderabad.
- The regional hub has been constructed as a model green campus with state of the art facilities on a sprawling 200-acre area at a cost of over 157 crore rupees.
- The home minister took the round of the complex and watched a demonstration by NSG commandos on the occasion.
- It is one among the four regional hubs (earlier Mumbai, Chennai, and Kolkatta) planned after 26/11 Mumbai attacks to reduce the response time.
13. Vice President Venkaiah Naidu inaugurates scientific convention on World Homoeopathy Day
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu has inaugurated the two -day scientific convention on the World Homoeopathy Day (WHD) in New Delhi.
- The theme of the convention is Innovate: Evolve, Progress: Exploring Science since 40 years.
- The WHD is observed to commemorate the birth anniversary of Homoeopathy founder Dr. Christian Friedrich Samuel Hahnemann.
- The convention has also paid tributes to Hahnemann on the on his 263rd birth anniversary.
Banking & Finance
14. SBI launches UK subsidiary with 225 million pounds initial capital
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has announced to launch, SBI (UK) Limited (its UK subsidiary) with an initial capital commitment of 225 million pounds from its parent entity.
- Now, SBI has become the first foreign bank in the UK to ringfence its retail division from its wholesale business.
- The UK’s Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) wants foreign banks to establish UK subsidiaries to protect depositors in the UK from uncertainties in foreign markets.
- SBI operates seven branches in London and five each in Manchester, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Leicester and Coventry.
15. SBI to invest Rs. 80 billion in ‘Arun III’ Hydropower project of Nepal
- The State Bank of India (SBI) will invest a total of Rs 80 billion in the Arun III hydropower project of Nepal.
- It has 900 megawatts (MW) electricity production capacities.
- After completion of the project, Nepal will get 21.9% of the total electricity produced in a year.
- The mega project is targeted to be completed by 2022’s September.
- The SJVN (constructing the mega power project) has made an informal agreement with the SBI to acquire the investment as a loan and soon will make the formal agreement.
- Earlier, the Punjab National Bank will lend the loan for the construction of the 268 km long 400 KV transmission line via the Everest Bank (joint venture bank of the PNB).
16. According to ADB, India to grow 7.3% this fiscal
- According to the Asian Development Bank (ADB), India’s economic growth is expected to rebound to 7.3% this fiscal with increased productivity post GST and investment revival due to banking reform.
- It is a tad lower than RBI’s forecast of 7.4% for this fiscal.
- Growth is expected to pick up further to 7.6 % in FY2019 as efforts are on to strengthen the banking system
- It projected inflation to average 4.6% in FY 2018.
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) is a regional development bank established on 19th December 1966, headquartered in the Ortigas Center located in the city of Mandaluyong, Metro Manila, Philippines.
- ADB assists its members, and partners, by providing loans, technical assistance, grants, and equity investments to promote social and economic development.
- ADB is composed of 67 members, 48 of which are from the Asia and Pacific regions.
17. Senior IPS officer Rajesh Ranjan appointed Director General of CISF
- Senior IPS officer (1984 batch-Bihar cadre) Rajesh Ranjan has been appointed as Director General of Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) till November 2020.
- Earlier, the post was lying vacant after incumbent OP Singh took over as Director General of the Uttar Pradesh Police in January this year.
- At present, Ranjan is the Special Director General, Border Security Force (BSF).
- CISF secures a host of VVIPs along with providing armed security to the Delhi Metro network, seaports, power plants, sensitive government buildings, and airports.
18. Commonwealth Games 2018 : Shooter Shreyasi Singh wins the Gold medal
- Indian shooter Shreyasi Singh has won the women’s double trap gold in a shoot-off (scoring 96 points) to take India’s gold medal tally at the 21st Commonwealth Games 2018.
- Emma settled for a Silver, while the Bronze went to Scotland’s Linda Pearson.
- It was Shreyasi’s second CWG medal after having claimed a silver at the 2014 Glasgow Games.
- Earlier, in the Men’s 50-metre Pistol event, Om Mitharwal finished third to claim his second Bronze of the Games.
19. Commonwealth Games 2018 : Om Mitharval Wins Bronze in Shooting
- Indian shooter Om Prakash Mitharval settled for the bronze medal in the men’s 50m pistol event at the 21st Commonwealth Games at Gold Coast, Australia.
Host nation Australia’s Daniel Repacholi bagged the gold medal in the event with a Games record 227.2 while Shakil Ahmed of Bangladesh won the silver.
20. Commonwealth Games 2018 : Heena Sidhu wins the Gold medal in 25m pistol event
- Indian shooter Heena Sidhu (28-year) set Commonwealth Games record to win gold in women’s 25m pistol shooting event.
- This is Sidhu’s second medal at CWG 2018, (earlier silver in women’s 10m air pistol).
- Sidhu received a Bachelor of Dental Surgery in 2013.
21. Canadian shooter Robert Pitcairn becomes the oldest athlete to debut at Gold Coast games
- Canadian full-bore shooter Robert Pitcairn (79-year) debuted at the on-going Gold Coast Games as the oldest athlete in Commonwealth Games history.
- He stepped onto the range with partner Nicole Rossignol, in the Queen’s Prize Pairs finals 1 event at the age of 79 years and nine months.